Friday, December 4, 2009

Candied Cardamom and Orange Mixed Nuts

I've got a great new recipe for your nut dish this holiday season. Don't buy Planters or any other kind of store bought nuts this time. Get yourself some oversized bags of nuts at Costco or Sam's Club or whichever store of that type is popular in your area, and make your own! Perfect for gift giving, if you can manage to put any aside before devouring them all yourself. And great news.... I've found yet another use for that expensive jar of cardamom that I bought a while back!  These are sweet, crunchy and downright addictive.

CANDIED CARDAMOM 
AND ORANGE MIXED NUTS


1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup plus 3 Tbs. sugar, divided
1 cup unsalted pecans
1 cup unsalted walnuts
1 cup unsalted almonds
2 tsp. cardamom
1/2 tsp. or more orange peel       

Melt the butter in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the 1/2 cup of sugar and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Meanwhile, mix the remaining 3 Tbs. of sugar with the cardamom and orange peel and set aside. As you can see, I took the easy way out and used a jar of Spice Islands orange peel. But if you like grating, by all means grate away! When the sugar is dissolved, still over the medium to medium high heat add the 3 cups of nuts, cooking and stirring for about 5 minutes until toasted and well coated with the butter/sugar mixture. Don't allow the nuts to burn. Pour the nuts into a large bowl and add the reserved sugar and spice mixture. Stir well to coat evenly.  Dump this mixture onto a foil lined cookie sheet and break apart with the back of your spoon or spatula to, well, to break them apart.... duh me.  When they are cooled, they will separate, yeah, that's the word I was looking for... they will separate easily and be ready to fill a nut dish or add to a container for gift giving. Yum.... wait till you taste these!


8 comments:

  1. Hane, Looks great! I was searching for an idea for my nuts. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The original recipe was absolutely the best. Can't wait to try this one. What a great holiday gift Beth.
    Arlene Delray Beach, Fla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sissy!! I think I will try your recipe for my holiday party..wish you could be here!! joanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi this is Evan! I love those nuts so much. Whoever is reading this comment that doesn't have one of my mom's cookbooks is crazy. I'm serious, like they are SOOOOOoOOOOOOoooOoo good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were as good as the salty ones. The problem is you keep eating and eating them once you start. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Beth,

    Thanks for the great idea for a gift from the kitchen - they sound so good! I think I'll get some of those cute little boxes from Michael's that look like Chinese food containers - so cute!

    Thanks!! Candy

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey cuz...i'm planning to make these for book club this week...look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am definately going to make these this christmas, will let you know how I get on.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Let me know you've stopped by. Thanks!