Monday, March 7, 2011

Penne in a Garlicky Butter Sauce with Chicken, Sun Dried Tomatoes and Artichokes

What a recipe title.  But I couldn't leave anything out, it was all so good!  So here's what happened. It was either go out, and we were both pretty exhausted from a long weekend of singing and performing, or stay in and wing it. I just couldn't force Pianoman to go anywhere. And I really didn't want to go anywhere either. I gathered together all the things I needed for this recipe right off my shelf and refrigerator. You probably have most of them in your kitchen right now too. And for those of you who own the cookbook, the recipe is there already for you.  It's one that you might pass by and not think too much of.  Think about it one more time. It's the best, I mean best, and easiest sauce for your pasta. And the add-ins are endless.  Try this one evening, and tell me if it isn't just delicious!

PENNE IN A GARLICKY BUTTER SAUCE WITH CHICKEN, 
SUN DRIED TOMATOES AND ARTICHOKE HEARTS

Start with one whole chicken breast. Mine was partially frozen, which I like better for slicing or cubing.  I cubed mine and tossed it with lemon pepper seasoning, some crushed dried rosemary, a little paprika, salt and pepper. Into a little bit of hot olive oil it all went until cooked through and beginning to brown.  Remove this to a bowl, cover with foil and set aside. And p.s., if you want meatless, by all means skip this step!

Boil 8 ounces of penne pasta or whatever kind you like according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

In a saucepan, melt 1/4 cup of butter. Saute a medium onion and 3 large cloves of garlic that have been very finely chopped. When I say very finely, I mean it.  I do mine in my food processor until it is really finely chopped.  This way, when you saute it you'll get all the flavor in the sauce and no chunky pieces  when you eat the dish.  Seriously.  So, saute the onion and garlic until soft but not browned. Add to this 1/2 cup of chicken broth, 1/4 cup of olive oil, a good handful of chopped fresh parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Heat all this through. Then add whatever suits your fancy.  I added 1/2 cup of sun dried tomatoes and 1 small jar of artichoke hearts which were thoroughly drained. Gently mix these into the sauce. Add the chicken back in as well.  Then add the drained pasta.  Toss everything together well.  Distribute onto your dinner plates.   Sprinkle with freshly shredded or grated Parmesan cheese. This will serve more than 4 generously. 

Things you'll need at a glance:
  • 1 chicken breast
  • 8 oz. penne pasta or your favorite
  • Butter
  • 1 onion
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • Chicken broth (I used Better Than Bouillon Organic. It's convenient, easy, I can make as much or as little as I like, I don't have to open a big box of broth, it's very good)
  • Olive oil
  • Fresh parsley
  • Your choice for add-ins, or none at all! (Some of my favorites are black olives, sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, fresh spinach, toasted walnuts or pinenuts, etc.)
Enjoy and let me know how you loved it!





6 comments:

  1. Everything we like, all in one dish. Sounds like a winner. Can't wait to try it. All I need is the tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good, Beth. Is it as light as it looks? Everything you create is a masterpiece for the palette - the other palette. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will def. try this recipe..and I think I have all the ingredients!! The pic looks yummy and I know that if my sissy made it, it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe looks absolutely delicious,and I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my. This is going to be a perennial favorite. Next time I may add roasted reds or black olives or fresh mozzarella, just because I like to "tweak". Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this dish is so good - the combo is a meld of ingredients that create a sensational taste - I used sun dried tomatoes and toasted walnuts - just great. from your sis

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Let me know you've stopped by. Thanks!