Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Deb's Stuffed Pepper Soup

I've been waiting a while to do this post. This delicious soup recipe comes from my oldest and best friend, Debbie Finegan, who passed away on September 16th after a long and courageous battle with cancer. She would be beaming from ear to ear to know that her recipe is being published for all the world to see. (Well, seeing as hardly anyone looks at this blog, that previous statement is a bit of an exaggeration.) But I imagine that would make Debbie laugh even harder.

This soup tastes just like a stuffed pepper, only better and much easier to make! I'm thinking it's right on time for the cool weather that many of you are experiencing up north. So go out and get the simple ingredients to make this soup, and even if you never met this amazing person, send a little smile her way, up that-a-way, for I'm sure that's where she is with all the other angels.

DEB’S STUFFED PEPPER SOUP
2 lbs. ground sirloin
1 28 oz. can tomato sauce
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes (undrained)
2 cups chopped green pepper
2 beef bouillon cubes
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
3 cups water (more or less depending on how thick you like it)
2 cups cooked rice

Brown the ground sirloin and drain. Add the remaining ingredients and bring everything to a boil except the rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes or until peppers are tender. Add cooked rice last. Makes a big pot, plenty for the next day.

In loving memory
Debbie Farr Finegan 8/19/1951 - 9/16/2009

12 comments:

  1. Rita was here! I have been wanting to try this recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth, what a lovely tribute to your wonderful friend!!
    I will certainly try this recipe.... seeing as I love stuffed peppers!!
    Take care, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Beth,
    What a beautiful picture of the two of you - and I can't wait to try the soup next weekend when my family comes in. We'll have it to celebrate the life of two great friends.
    Love,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom would absolutely love that you posted this. I am definitely going to make it this weekend! Thanks Beth. You're the best!

    Love, Deke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have made this recipe more than once. It's yummy and very easy to make. I know this was one of Deb's favorites. When you make it think about our good friend and how much she enjoyed making people smile. So glad Beth included it in her cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jo sent an email with the recipe and link to your blog!! I am so sorry about Debbie Farr's death. I remember how close you were even as kids in Erie. You are a beautiful and thoughtful friend. Love, Dori (Herscowitz) Silverman

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just want to say to Debbie, hey you never made that for me, ha ha. Does anyone have her lasagna recipe? Cousin Billy and I were just talking about that last weekend.

    I love this recipe and will make it soon. I know Debbie is fine, but I worry about her boys/guys.

    Beth, can you come up and see us at New Smyrna in December? My daughter and I are going to get there around the 15th or so.

    Thanks for the posting!
    Love,
    Richele

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was truly awesome. Simple to make and wonderful. It also made me nostalgic as it smells and tastes like my mom's stuffed peppers she used to make on cold winter Erie nights.
    Here's to you Debbie. (you too Beth for making it available through your cookbook)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beth, the legacy to Deb was so endearing and I know personally from your heart. I will make and eat her soup in her honor. Deb we will miss you always and forever. Love, Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to try this but, I have to make a substitution. Can I use Red (ripe) bell peppers in place of green? Now that I've tasted them ripe, I don't eat them green anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Supper tomorrow! I was waiting for the organic peppers to come dowm from $4.59 a pound--they went up instead, so it's plain old grocery-store peppers. I will add a jar of roasted reds (my daughter-in-law's suggestion) and probably onion. This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. It was even better than I'd hoped. Hubby LOVED it, and my son wants the recipe. Only one thing went wrong...I didn't make enough.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Let me know you've stopped by. Thanks!