Saturday, June 5, 2010

Chicken Taco Salad with Salsa Lime Dressing

I am more than a little technically challenged. As well, I am working with only one good hand at the moment due to some surgery. But a while back I made this salad, took pictures, and never posted the recipe. I know everyone has probably thrown together their version of taco salad. So here is my offering to either bore you to pieces or inspire you to go out and get the ingredients to make this.  I made an attempt at putting together a slide show of the ingredients and method. As you view it, you can run your cursor over the picture and read the caption that accompanies it. I know, I know, it's juvenile at best. But it is my attempt at "stirring" up some interest!  And if you post a comment, please be kind.  I'm fragile (not really.)  Enjoy!!

This is such an easy salad to put together. Everyone loves the combination of these vegetables and chicken, especially in a quick salad. The tangy lime salsa dressing is what makes it special. Use any type of salsa you like, but I found Paul Newman's Salsa Lime Dressing to be outstanding with the addition of extra fresh lime juice and diced jalapeno peppers.

CHICKEN TACO SALAD WITH SALSA LIME DRESSING

For the dressing, mix together 1 cup of sour cream, about a cup of your favorite salsa, juice of half a lime or more, and a heaping tablespoon of diced jalapeno peppers (I buy them in the jar.)  These amounts are merely approximate. You're looking for a dressing of pouring consistency and a nice pinkish color. Mix all of this together and chill.

For the salad:
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast
1 pkg. of taco seasoning mix
Lettuces of your choice. I like iceberg and romaine
Chopped tomatoes, or whole grape tomatoes
Green onions, sliced
Black olives, sliced
1 can black beans, drained
Shredded cheese. I like sharp cheddar and pepper jack
Tortilla chips

I like to clean the chicken and then partially freeze it before cutting. You won't believe how much easier it is to cut up.  Cook the chicken over medium heat until it is no longer pink. Add the seasoning mix and the amount of water the package calls for. In the meantime, drain and heat the can of black beans, season them how you like, or not at all. I use onion powder, fresh sliced garlic, a little chili powder. Prepare all your veggies for the salad and toss together in a big bowl.

Distribute the salad onto your dinner plates. Spoon the warm beans and chicken over the salad. Spoon the dressing over the top and sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips.  Really good!!




1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite midweek dinners. Perfect for watching the Celtics and drinkin a beer. I love the tangy flavor of the chicken and the crunchiness of the chips in the salad. This dish comes in at #3 of my all time favorite Singingirl creations.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Let me know you've stopped by. Thanks!