Friday, June 18, 2010

Easiest & Best Fresh Blueberry Pie

Oh joy.... blueberries are back in season again. An opportunity to make this pie.  This recipe came from my mother, who I believe got it from our next door neighbor many moons ago. She was an expert pie baker, our neighbor. Once you make this, you will never look at another recipe for blueberry pie. I'm serious. Just to show you how serious I am, I'm offering a money back guarantee.  Wait a minute. I'm not selling you anything. How can I offer a money back guarantee?  Listen, July 4th is around the corner. Good excuse to make this. But don't wait until then. Make one now and see for yourself. The combination of fresh and cooked berries with the slightly tart taste of lemon.....all poured into a pre-baked and cooled deep dish pie crust, then topped with toasted coconut, and chilled!  I never met a frozen pie crust that I didn't like. Of course, if you're a purist then roll out your own crust from scratch.  Fifteen or twenty minutes from start to finish (except for the chilling time), the pie serves six generously or eight not so generously.

EASIEST AND BEST FRESH BLUEBERRY PIE
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 Tbs. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 cup water
3 cups blueberries, divided
2 Tbs. butter
1 1/2 Tbs. lemon juice (about half a lemon)
1/3 cup coconut, toasted (optional)



Spread the coconut onto a sheet of foil and toast in a 350 degree oven, stirring occasionally, until browned and sweet smelling. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

Mix the sugar, cornstarch, salt, water and 1 cup of the blueberries together in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook until the berries have "popped" and the mixture is thickened, bubbly and dark purple in color. Remove from heat and stir in the butter until melted, then stir in the lemon juice and then fold in the remaining two cups of berries.

Pour into a pre-baked, cooled pie crust, one that you've slaved over yourself, or a frozen deep dish pie crust.

Sprinkle the toasted coconut over the top of the pie. Chill until firm. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.


7 comments:

  1. Yummy! Now how is this one different from the blueberry pie you and I posted on Raisin Toast a year or so ago? I think the coconut is different, but anything else? Love ya! Great recipe! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Beth. I'll give this a try this week sometime. The ten blueberry bushes I planted last year are coming to fruition (perfect word) right now--nothing quite like combining homegrown with homemade. Thanks for the recipe!
    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the words of our own President Obama, this pie was "kickin ass" ! The berries were so fresh and not too sweet. The coconut sprinkles on top made me say "more pie please " Give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can DEFINITELY guarantee that this pie is so unbelievably delicious. I had it last evening as a guest and Beth served it with whip cream and it absolutely blew me away. Thanks Beth, as always for letting me be a "taster". This pie is better than a gourmet bakery pie and beyond. Oh and next time I want the bigger piece Paul LOL! Can't wait to go and get the blueberries and crust. YUM!

    Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Beth - I am definitely going to try this - it sounds yummy! I love the idea of the toasted coconut!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The picture is beautiful..I may attempt to make this pie for your brother's picnic!! thanx for the recipe..luv, sissy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have made this recipe twice in the last two weeks (homegrown berries and store-bought crust) with equally outrageous kudos from all participants in the demolition of same.

    Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Let me know you've stopped by. Thanks!