Saturday, October 23, 2010

New Fashioned Potato Salad


This is a maiden voyage for me with blogging. I'm sure this initial post is going to look quite silly and amateur to just about everyone. But give me a minute, and I will get it together. My friend, Susan, will be rolling on the floor over this, but I'm trying. Anyway, on to this recipe.

Don't those store bought containers of potato salad just leave you a little cold? Tons of mayo and no personality??  Kick up your potato salad a notch this holiday weekend and try this recipe. Finely chopped colorful vegetables give this great flavor.  I used my food processor to achieve the really small chop for the vegetables. If you don't have a processor, just chop away by hand. The overall   result should be uniformly small pieces of vegetables resembling confetti that you will mix into the salad. No one wants to chomp into a huge piece of jalapeno or onion. 


Start with:
3 to 4 lb. of potatoes
1/2 of a red onion
1 small jalapeno, seeded
1 medium carrot
1 medium stalk of celery
1 clove of garlic
1/2 cup of fresh parsley
1/2 cup of mayonnaise
1/3 cup of sour cream
1 1/2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt (such as Emeril's Essence)
Freshly ground black pepper and extra salt to taste


Boil the potatoes whole with the skin on until firm tender, adding a generous amount of salt to the boiling water. Drain and allow to cool until you can handle them.


Place the onion, jalapeno, carrot, celery, garlic and parsley in your food processor and process until they are chopped very small. Place in a large mixing bowl.


Mix the mayo, sour cream, mustard and seasonings together.


When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, remove the skins. This is a whole lot easier to do after they're cooked. Cut them into edible sized pieces. You should have about six or seven cups of potatoes. Dump these into the large bowl with the vegetables and toss gently to mix. Pour the dressing over the warm potatoes and vegetables and gently mix again. Check for seasonings. Cover and chill.


Enjoy everybody. Have a safe and relaxing holiday weekend. And don't give up and buy that store bought stuff, EVER! 


If you like this recipe, please let me know by leaving a comment for me, and thanks for stopping by. I need encouragement to go on! And from time to time, I will bother you about my cookbook Singingirl Cooks! which is proudly for sale and full of recipes, pictures and stories just like this. Ask me about it.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This receipe looks outstanding and easy to put together. Would be great for BBQ's.

    Arlene R Delray Beach, Fla

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to try this one out soon. I have used the same potato salad recipe for 40 years. I think this one will go over good with my guinea pig (husband)with the jalapeno pepper in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new blog, Beth! What a great way to showcase your delicious recipes and beautiful photos! The potato salad recipe sounds delicious! Will definitely try it. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mom, nice blog so far. I'm sure I'll be able to help you with it if you make this potato salad for me when I get home...

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! I love it! I'm at this stinking festival and hating every second of it. How about you come to nc and take my place. Love your blog girlfriend and i'm impressed! Luv ya, me

    ReplyDelete
  7. very cool..looks delicious,cuz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Picture pretty and does sound good. Lots of luck blogging!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Let me know you've stopped by. Thanks!