Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Chocolate Crusted Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie

Whew... that's a big name for this little pie.  But I couldn't just call it a pumpkin pie.  One member of my household called it a Hybrid Special. I thought that was pretty funny. But who would find my pie searching for Hybrid Special?  If you own my cookbook, you know that I feature this pie in the dessert section, except that in that recipe I use a regular pie crust and glaze the top of the cooled pie with a maple syrup concoction.  Sounds pretty good, right?  It is.  But not being able to leave well enough alone, I decided that these four things, chocolate, pumpkin, orange and cream cheese would taste pretty good together.  And they do.  Try this one of these days before the holidays and decide for yourself if offering a variation on a theme would be a good idea.  I offered a choice last Thanksgiving, and everyone loved both the traditional pie and the Hybrid!  Here's the recipe.

CHOCOLATE CRUSTED PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE PIE
1 chocolate pie crust (such as Oreo brand)
1 8 oz. pkg. of cream cheese, softened (I used the Neufchatel 1/3 less fat)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. freshly grated orange peel
1 egg

1 1/4 cups of canned pumpkin (don't stress over the little bit that's left in the can)
1 cup evaporated milk (use the rest for your coffee or cooking)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cloves
Dash of salt
Whipped cream for garnish


  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Place the pie crust on a cookie sheet and set aside.
  • Combine the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, orange peel and egg. Beat on low speed with a mixer until smooth. Spread onto the bottom only of the pie crust and even it out with the bottom of your spoon.
  • Combine remaining pie ingredients and mix very well until nice and smooth. 
  • Carefully pour this mixture over the cream cheese mixture. You might have a little bit left that just won't fit.
  • Place pie in the oven on the cookie sheet to prevent a spill and bake for around 60 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
  • Remove pie from oven and cool on a rack completely.
  • Chill and garnish with whipped cream. A few chocolate sprinkles on top of the whipped cream, or a couple of candy corn arranged nicely would look great!  Enjoy!!!



Note ~ you can substitute 1 3/4 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice for the individual spices above.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds SO great!! I am definitely doing this one! Thanks, B!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tore that thing up last night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, Beth's cooking is simply the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evan, you tore into the piece that was meant for me. Boo Hoo. Watching the sugar now but am going to shoot for this for sure over the holidays sugar be damned. Look's tremendous Beth..

    Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sissy: The pie is in the oven as I post this comment!! I hope it looks (and tastes) as good as your looks in the picture!! Wish me luck!! luv, Jo

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Let me know you've stopped by. Thanks!